Shohin Maple Update

I posted this maple back on the 21st march HERE

(Loving this online diary. Great for checking back when tasks were done.)

Here’s an update on the tree. Every Spring is grows vigorously and has large leaves. I defoliate as soon as they harden off. That’s today.

The next flush of growth will have smaller leaves and a shorter inter-nodal length.

The wounds that I reopened and resealed in March are obviously healing strongly as you can see from the cracks in the cut paste. I’m hoping that by the end of 2012 I have no wounds at all.

Advertisements

Cork Bark Elm Air Layer

I took a notion to create a broom Style Cork Bark Elm. (Doesn’t he already have one!) Yes, I have one but I want one slightly bigger 🙂 I’m not exactly short of Cork Bark Elms see next pic, and I have one that I had styled but didn’t have great branch placement. I was going to chop the top but decided to air layer instead.

Some Corkies in the Tunnel.

This is the one selected for layering.

I removed a few branches and marked out the area to ring.

I used a sharp knife and cut top and bottom of the planned ring.

I removed the bark in between with side branch cutters.

It’s amazing just how thick the bark is one this variety.

Sphagnum moss is then applied arounf the ring and held in place with cling film.

To finish off I wrap a strip of pond liner around it to keep it dark to encourage roots. his can be removed to check for white roots inside the cling film.

It’s back in the Poly Tunnel and has had a good soaking to ensure the moss is evenly damp. I’ll keep you posted. I think this should issue roots quite quickly.

One less job to do today

Guess I don’t have to water the trees today. Just had the heaviest shower I seen here in a very long time and it lasted about 30 minutes. I braved a shot out of the window just as it was easing off 🙂 This is back to front week on my benches so the trees get even light.

English Elm Development

This is an English Elm I spotted at Stephen’s yesterday. After it initial flush Stephen pruned it back in an attempt to get back budding, I think we can say it worked. Just look at those buds popping.

I like this tree except for the apex which looks man made with the contrived bend. Although it would set the tree back a bit, I would chop this and regrow the apex in a more natural looking form. Being the apex of the tree and the most vigorous part, it should fill out quickly.

This was the tree back in May last year. A full image but the branch structure was a mess with poor secondary branching and most growth at the branch ends and no internal growth.

This was it at the start of April this year after it’s first flush of growth. Stephen had worked on the tree last Summer and you can see an improvement in the branches from the photo above.

This was it yesterday after responding to a heavy trim 3 weeks ago. You can see the buds popping along the primary branches were there was very little secondary branching. This will improve the quality of the tree.