The other day Stephen and I did a little propagation of some mini roses in a cutting session. About 6 varieties in total I think with the very tasty super mini getting multiplied 😉
If all goes well I’ll have a nice stock of these next year.
This Chinese Elm came into my care last year. It had been doing well for a few years and then it had a major bad episode and lost all the bottom branches. All that was left was a nice base, a long straight bit then a few branches at the top. I repotted it out of the original poor soil. After a few months it had leafed out again but was never going to make a convincing tree without lower branches. I spoke to the owner and suggested air layering the top off it and then creating a better tree from the base. Fair play to him, he agreed. I left the layering until March this year and a few weeks back I checked the progress.
Signs of decent roots in the layer.
Finally got around to sorting a few air layers this week.
First up was this Korean Hornbeam. This is the front as it sits now.
This will be the new front. However the top of the taller trunk is heavy and needs removed. It will make a nice little shohin clump if layered off.
Layer point marked.
Cambium layer removed.
Layer in pace.
And this Cork bark Elm with poor nebari.
And this Zelkova which will make a nicer broom having removed all the tall leaders.
A Chinese Elm that I’m layering for a customer. The tree came to me in poor health and had lost a lot of lower branches. Best option is to layer off the top and use the nice base as a new tree.
Dis a few more but was on a roll and forgot the camera 🙂
The story so far…
I could have removed this layer back in the Autumn but opted to wait until now as the buds begin to swell. I was fairly confident that it had done well last year after a shaky start as it had pushed out a lot of new growth.
On removal of the pot I was please to see some good roots.
With dead sections on the trunk ( see older post links above) I was delighted to see that each live section had produced roots.
The saw cut which got some work before potting.
This hollow up the trunk was really starting to roll over well and instead of leaving a hole to collect water I decided to treat and seal this with wound putty and then seal with cut paste. This will allow it to eventually heal over leaving no hole at all in about 5 years.
Potted up in a wash hand basin to allow it to gain some momentum this year. The original roots on inspection were very poor, I feel that if I hadn’t layered this tree it would already be dead. Which would be a shame with the stunning Autumn Colour it produces.
Thought I’d share this Oak Air layer update with you. I see many people on forums etc asking if it’s possible to layer an Oak with a lot of conflicting answers. This one was removed from the parent tree back in April 2012. At the weekend I decided to repot the tree properly for the first time.Here you can see that it’s done well in the interim.
After a combing out of the roots and removal of any of the moss used in the original layer.
Some work carried out on some large cuts.
And now potted up in it’s new pot. Some carving required to tidy it up but no rush.
I did this layer back in April and removed it a few weeks back. All looks good and I look forward to developing this little one next year.
And this little trident was successful at the second attempt.
And both potted up with a little moss top dressing to ensure surface roots remain moist.
And a word to the wise, when you saw through the trunk, ensure your other hand is well clear!! This is how I ended up. Flap of skin hanging off and exposing the knuckle bone 😦 10 days later and it got infected and I ended up at Minor Injuries Unit for treatment. Will I ever learn?
… at the second attempt! I tried a layer on this tree in 2013 but it bridged the gap. I reopened it and made a bigger indent, and also changed away from moss to an akadama mix. This time we have success, but I’ll be leaving the separation until the Spring.
I have been looking for a Magnesium additive for a few of my trees that I think have an issue. I have a maple in a garden pot and a Fuji cherry bonsai that last year had a yellowing of the leaves. A wise man once told me that feeding won’t necessarily help the tree. The tree needs magnesium to help it break down the fertiliser.
I searched the local garden centres for the old En-Mag product with no joy. I had actually given up when I went into a very local, pokey family plant and paint shop and found Chempak’s Magnesium product and, to make it even better, their Trace elements one as well! I’m not sure they make these any more, haven’t seen them for a long time, perhaps old stock, but they’ll do me.
Shop for quality bonsai
bonsai and garden
Kaizen Bonsai Blog
Teaching, Learning, Enjoying Bonsai
The ramblings of an old artist and someone who would like to grow better bonsais trees
My wood creations
create and take care of your kokedama
Hand Crafted Furniture
Sussex Bonsai Group's successful BonsaiWorld2015 Show at the K2 Crawley, West Sussex
Creativity Through Bonsai
dirt leaves flowers
bonsaï | vidéo | Japon - ActuBonsaï
Japan's aesthetic, craftsmanship and spirit
Bonsai with a hint of madness...
Startup and Technology News