Wee Ones

Four of my wee ones.

I started the Sorbus Reducta in 1994.

DSC_0296

The Elm has been with me for 5 years but is probably 20 years old in bonsai years. Now in a fantastic Magic Ceramic pot, a great match for the tree I think.

DSC_0298

New to me this year, a little horse Chestnut gifted to me by my friend Maciej.

DSC_0299

Finally my Juniper growing well since it’s repot this Spring.DSC_0304

Happy New Year Eventually!

Happy New Year everyone. 2015 was a roller-coaster of a year for me with many changes in my private and work life, I won’t bore you with the details. As a result I had to put blogging about wee trees on the back burner and my posts have dropped away considerably as a result. 2016 will see some major changes in my life, hopefully in a good way and I hope to get back into the swing of it all again. No this isn’t a New Years Resolution, I’m just trying to show resolve at a time of the year that coincides with the turn of the year 🙂

I’ve been busy working on trees for the last week and have been trying out a new technique to help me with this. It’s called a Tens Machine 🙂 It seems to have worked as well.

To start the ball rolling I’ll share this one with you. A Cork bark Chinese Elm that needed some more structural work done, so this is it before and after pruning and wiring.

Thank You

Has it been a week since the workshop!!

A big thank you to the guys who took part in the workshop last Saturday here at my home. Phil and I hope that everyone got the results they wanted on the day. It was a great day with good craic.

Here’s a few General shots from the day.

 

Mame Elm

Potted up this little English Elm into it’s new pot made by Magic Ceramics.

A nice combo I think.

DSC_0053

More Layers

I did this layer back in April and removed it a few weeks back. All looks good and I look forward to developing this little one next year.

DSC_0275

DSC_0276

DSC_0277

And this little trident was successful at the second attempt.

DSC_0271

DSC_0273

DSC_0274

And both potted up with a little moss top dressing to ensure surface roots remain moist.

DSC_0279And a word to the wise, when you saw through the trunk, ensure your other hand is well clear!! This is how I ended up. Flap of skin hanging off and exposing the knuckle bone 😦 10 days later and it got infected and I ended up at Minor Injuries Unit for treatment. Will I ever learn?

DSC_0278

Another Elm Air layer

I had 3 broom shohin Elms which was 2 too many. I sold one a few weeks ago which got me down to two. I looked at the other two and decided that this one with inverse taper needed to change to make it worth keeping. I opted to air layer it to make a clump style image. This is it before and after the layer.

DSC_0500

DSC_0501

DSC_0504

Facelift

I’ve had this Elm group for a while on my For Sale list but I think the cracked red Cat litter tray was putting a few interested folk off. I decided to transfer it over onto a slate to make a better image.

DSC_0489

DSC_0506

Siberian Elm Trim

Stephen’s Siberian Elm before and after a trim today.

DSC_0623 (2)

DSC_0624 (2)

BSA Exhibition 2014 – A walk around Willowbog Bonsai

With all that was going on at the exhibition, is was easy to forget that just out the door was a bonsai nursery! We were blessed with some sunshine for part of each day and many folk took the chance to have a walk around and see the sale trees and Mr Greedy’s Collection. Here’s a few for you to see.

Elm Adjustments

I have been making a few decisions with this field grown Cork Bark Elm. It was styled a few years ago and since then I have been building up ramification and girth to lower branches.

This year saw a lot of growth but a lot of this wasn’t in the right places. The wire had been removed last Winter and during the year they have risen out of  the desired profile. The finer growth is too dense in places to the detriment of inner areas.

DSC_0006

 

I spent an hour the other afternoon wiring the primary and secondary branching and thinning out the dense areas to create proper structure. Although this has reduced the size of the overall tree, in a negative way, the structure left is correct and I will be able to quickly replace the ramification. I did manage to snap a little branch near the apex. Didn’t see that pruning wound from last year which had created a weak spot. At least at the apex it can be replaced quickly.

DSC_0007

 

The foliage mass needs to be at least twice as much as it is now, but that’s part of the enjoyment of deciduous bonsai, no quick fixes.