Air Layerings

This afternoon I did a few air layers. One to improve a tree, one to increase stock and one just for the hell of it to see if it works.

I started off on my root over rock Cotoneaster. The apex of the tree is contrived with a very obvious man made bend. I plan to bring up a lower branch to create a new apex and change the front slightly. As it’s an unusual variety of Cotoneaster I decided to layer off the apex to create a little Mame version. I may even put it on a rock too. Here’s the photos.

Tree before I started, slightly over grown.

Apex to be removed, a bit of an 'S' bend

Two branches removed to allow space for layer.

Bark stripped and ready for moss

Narrow roll of Cling Film used to hold moss in place

Layer in place

I then added a layer to a Crab Apple that I bought in a garden Centre sale for £5. I hope to get 3-4 off this one over the next few years. No photos of that one.

Finally I added a layer to an Oak that was field grown but is relatively poor material as it stands. I hope to do one this year and another next year, finally leaving the straight trunk with decent nebari. This will be planted in the ground and used to create a broom style tree. Here’s a few pics.

Advertisements

Spruced up

I helped out a new club member yesterday with a few of his trees. One of them was this twin trunk Spruce. We talked about the variety and how to encourage back budding. I gave Stan a quick run through on wiring and handed over to him. He would appear to be a fast learner 🙂

Here’s the before and after photos.

Accents

A few more. They still need to fill out but they are starting to look the part.

Wild Strawberry

Scrap metal

I ended up with a nice pile of scrap metal yesterday after taking the wire off these two. Both were wired during the Autumn/Winter and they were right at the limit of cutting in. I usually get a bit longer that this but this year seems to be a good one for putting on girth, at least that’s what the bathroom scales are telling me!!