This afternoon I did a few air layers. One to improve a tree, one to increase stock and one just for the hell of it to see if it works.
I started off on my root over rock Cotoneaster. The apex of the tree is contrived with a very obvious man made bend. I plan to bring up a lower branch to create a new apex and change the front slightly. As it’s an unusual variety of Cotoneaster I decided to layer off the apex to create a little Mame version. I may even put it on a rock too. Here’s the photos.
I then added a layer to a Crab Apple that I bought in a garden Centre sale for £5. I hope to get 3-4 off this one over the next few years. No photos of that one.
Finally I added a layer to an Oak that was field grown but is relatively poor material as it stands. I hope to do one this year and another next year, finally leaving the straight trunk with decent nebari. This will be planted in the ground and used to create a broom style tree. Here’s a few pics.