100 Days in Lockdown

For those who follow me on Instagram you’ll know that back on day 1 of lockdown in Northern Ireland I decided that it might be fun to do a daily post there and, thanks to Facebook global domination, share it their as well.

Here we are 100 days later and I’ve decided it’s a nice round number to stop at. I’ve enjoyed doing the posts but time to resume my more chaotic posting system. As you can plainly see I’m also trying to breath life into this blog. As usual I’ll get carried away and no doubt I’ll slow it down to a drip 💧

As I posted precious little here during lockdown I thought I’d add a gallery as well of some of the trees etc that I posted over the last 100 days.

Gyoten Satsuki

New addition to the benches, a rather funky Satsuki Azalea variety Gyoten. Large pink frilly flowers of different shades of pink and some stripes here and there.

The tree came in from Japan this year from Akiyama San with the help of Peter Warren.

Needs a pot which will be tricky to source I think.

Shine Bright Like A Diamond

In an attempt to get into a routine of posting on the blog again I thought I’d share this Rhododendron Blue Diamond here.

This years peak bloom.

You’ll notice the one branch at the front without flowers. It’s a weak branch which gets weaker every year. There is a very thin live vein on it and I had removed the flowers from it for the last few years to try and strengthen it with no joy. Enough was enough. It had its chance so time to remove and redesign.

And then past peak with dead flowers showing.

The ideal time to remove the flowers and more importantly the little seed pods at their centre.

I’m sure we missed some late openers.
After deflowering before pruning.
Structural pruning
After pruning and set for the post flowering flush. You’d hardly notice the front branch at the main apex gone. A few bits wired to fill the gap.

Below is how the tree came to me in 2002.

Tale of Two Malus

Exactly a year ago a was wandering around a garden centre in Dublin. A great wee place called Murphy and Woods. All the plants were a little different than you usually see and staff could be seen everywhere taking the time to chat properly with customers. Remember those days when you could just pop into a garden centre 🙄

Anyway, I walked past a open gate marked staff only and about 10 metres inside the gate I could see a lump of malus trunk with a few weak branches and a small cluster of flowers. What can I say, when your eyes in it’s in 👀. As it was staff only I walked on but soon came across some other malus in 10 litre pots up at the back. These weren’t bonsai just small ornamental apple trees. I hoped they were crab apple and spotted one that might make a reasonable tree in time. At 50€ it was worth a punt.

I asked about the 50€ tree in the shop and was told it wasn’t a crab apple but the fruit wasn’t too big. They had been bought as crab apple but turned out not to be. On the off chance I asked about the one I could barely see in the staff area. I was told it belonged to the owner of the centre and had been a bonsai that he displayed in his own Japanese garden at home. However it was diseased and had gone down hill over the last few years. I was taken over to see it and it was a sorry sight lying bare rooted with a lot of dead areas on the tree. The mix it had been in looked way to moisture retentive for a bonsai pot.

A short time later I got to chat with the owner and asked if he’d part with the old bonsai malus. He told me to make him an offer. I asked how much would you pay for a nearly dead tree and that I was actually just trying to save it. We had a laugh about it and he then gave me the tree to try and save. As a good will gesture I then bought the 50€ tree as well as a few plants.

When I got the sick tree home it went into a free draining mix and into a Polytunnel under a misting system. It got sprayed with some big hitting fungicide and insecticide.

The 50€ tree got a little pruning to shape and was stuck in a corner. I watched it produce apples over the year and in the Autumn I sampled one and feck me they were delicious and super sweet 😀

The sick tree took a month or two to settle in and then started to sent our extension growth, even from part of the tree I assumed to be dead. The tree will need to have some deadwood features but with a few more years I hope to prove that it was worth the time and effort.

Anyway, here’s the sick tree now.

And here’s the 50€ special.

I’ll be keeping both trees, one for the challenge and one for the tasty apples 😂

Image

Accent: Sisyrinchium ‘Devon Skies’

Mother and Daughter Hawthorn

This is my largest Hawthorn, really starting to take shape. It’s been a long road but I’m starting to be a little happier with it these days. This year saw it’s best flowering to date. Plans afoot for a new pot for next year. I think it’s the most protective mother ever 🙂

DSC_0568

 

DSC_0571

 

Hawthorn

This one was repotted to do another root adjustment, it’s taking it a while to remove problem surface roots to allow it to fit in a final pot. This one’s temporary, one pot to go 🙂

DSC_0021

DSC_0024

DSC_0026

Spirea in Flower

DSC_0357

DSC_0358

DSC_0359