Today I decided to repot a Hawthorn. I waited until I had some extra hands available as it’s large and spikey! It’s the parent part of the Hawthorn I air layered last year. You can catch up on the process here. Air Layering a Hawthorn
It’s been in this large plastic pot for at least 4 years and it’s been the bane of my life having to work around it on the bench. I wanted to get it into something manageable and adjust the potting angle now the other trunk has been air-layered off. I was convinced that some of the heavy surface roots were dead and that I could remove then and allow for a smaller pot. I was wrong. The roots were dead on top but alive underneath. This is me having a poke around trying to figure out what’s alive and what’s not. The bark at the base was falling off the dead areas on the roots.
A quick scrape told me that more was alive than expected.
Phil and I pull the tree out for a closer look at the roots.
and it was at this point that I remembered that I screwed one of the root ends to the pot for stability.
There was plenty of fine roots and I was able to remove a few problem roots.
A quick check with the new pot and I was able to confirm that it would fit at the new angle.
Potting mix was added. I used Grit, akadama, kyodama and Cat litter.
The roots made it a little hard to tie in to the pot. I had to use a wooden block to support one of the roots.
Mix added and ready for a good watering.
After a good watering.
A close up of the base. There’s a fantastic surface root to the right as well but is covered to keep some fine root covered until the tree settles.
It’s now tucked away in the poly tunnel and I was able to lift it by myself 🙂
I may chop the top slightly at some point but I’m in no rush to do anything for at least a year. The stump were the air layer was removed with also need attention in 2012.