Gyoten Satsuki

New addition to the benches, a rather funky Satsuki Azalea variety Gyoten. Large pink frilly flowers of different shades of pink and some stripes here and there.

The tree came in from Japan this year from Akiyama San with the help of Peter Warren.

Needs a pot which will be tricky to source I think.

Satsuki Flower Removal

The best was past for my Satsuki Azalea and it was time to remove the flowers to help conserve a little strength. It took a while but I got the all, just always make sure you get the seed pod too. These are the four flower types on this tree.


The aftermath!



Now I have to look at this for the rest of the year 😦


My Satsuki

This is my satsuki azalea, I have it more for flowers than for bonsai but it gives me pleasure at this time of year. I didn’t let it flower last year to help build strength. It has four flower types  but I have only put photos of three below. The missing one is a pale pink flower with a dark pink stripe. Those ones have still to open. The first few photos where taken a few days apart so you can see it opening.

Mario’s Satsuki

One of the trees I’m minding for Mario while he spends his days kite surfing in Dubai is this little Satsuki Azalea. For me the tree had a few issues to begin with, namely:

the apex being as wide as the bottom branches

 suffers from a floating apex

Missing a branch to the front which I feel is a little too open.

This was the tree back in June 2012

After discussing the tree with Peter Warren in October last year we adjusted a few of the upper branches with wire to try and stop that floating apex. However, it was the wrong time of year to hard prune the apex to try and narrow it. Therefore we could only do so much at that time. This was the tree in April of this year.

After flowering was finished in June I pruned the apex back quite hard in a few places to improve the overall shape. This is the tree now. Less of an appearance of a floating apex and a more overall triangular shape.


This adventurous shoot has appeared on the trunk at a point were I think it might benefit the tree if developed. I’ll let it grow and let Mario remove it if he disagrees 😉


This is one of the top branches that got a major pruning back to old wood. It took a few weeks but it is now starting to fill out nicely but in the right area.


Before and after side by side for comparison

                                                                                                                                                       . DSC_0038

Mike’s Satsuki & Juniper

Waz Skeepin we me ole Mucker Mike tuther neet [Sorry, but Mike said I had to type the way he would actually say it, that’s wat he does 🙂 ]

ScreenHunter_43 Jul. 03 18.51

Great screen shot Mike lol, didn’t know I did that did you 😛

Enough of that, I was chatting to Mike on Skype the other night about his workshop weekend with Peter Warren and he was showing me some photos of his Root over Rock Satsuki which I rather like, As he’s such a decent bloke, he said I could share here. Also another little Satuki getting it’s first clear out and a Kishu Juniper as well.

Mario’s Satsuki Azalea

I have Mario’s Azalea for a few years and I like to keep him up to date.

This was it back in June in flower.

The canopy was getting too expansive and the apex was far too large. I opted to seek advice from Peter Warren about what was best for the tree and between us we reduced the foliage mass and I was able to open out the branches a little to start creating definition within the tree. This is it now.

Heavy wire was used to create a gradual bend in the branch. Peter advised that a heavier wire than you would normally use should be utilised in azaleas. This allows for greater support for a brittle tree. You can see that the apex is reduced and the tree is more open. More foliage could have been removed but as it was so late in the season we opted to leave some work until the Spring. Always do what’s best for the tree.

Kurume Azalea Festival

Nekotoban was kind enough to share these photos with me in a recent email and I thought I would share them with you lot as well. Photos taken at the Kurume Azalea Festival back in April. What I’d give to go and see this for myself!

Satsuki Flowers

This is a satsuki azalea that I grew from a cutting. It was in my flower bed for about 6 years and was lifted last year. I just love the flowers, no idea of the variety. Any knowledgeable folk out there who know, please comment.

This is the trunk, early days but might be interesting in a few years.

Another Translation Please

This label was on this Shohin Satsuki. I assume it is the variety, but for all I know, it’s the price!! 🙂 Can someone ID/ translate it for me so Bertie knows what variety he has?

Mario Update

Another Mario tree update. If  you haven’t got a clue why I’d be doing this, CLICK HERE

First up is his Satsuki Azalea. It’s a variety called Subaru, so I’m told. I always thought the flower colour was equal throughout this tree, as you can see, I was wrong. Nice shades of pink.

Next up is his Japanese White Pine that has budded strongly this year.

His Korean Hornbeam that got a major haircut to produce back budding on some leggy branches. It’s working.

This is his Japanese Black Pine. It had been in a small pot and I thought that while he was away for a while we could get faster development from this tree by putting it in a bigger pot. I opted for a pond basket to improve the roots.

There you go Mario, that’s your tree fix sent all the way to you out in the sands 🙂