I found these little beggers on a Korean Hornbeam at the weekend. It wasn’t my one but I’ve seen leaf damage on it as well. I noticed leaf damage a few weeks back and sprayed with insecticide at the time. I was only checking today to confirm that they were all gone. I guess not! I have never had a year like this one for beasties eating my trees. I have sprayed more than normal, but to no avail. Time to bring out the special stuff that I’m not supposed to have any more 😆
This is the damage caused.
They target the new extension growth and that’s were I found this one. The new leaves failed to open out due to the cocoon created.
When I opened the leaves out this boyo popped out and he was quick as lightning!!
This is my Hornbeam exhibiting a lot of late growth and a few chewed leaves too.