Happy New Year everyone. 2015 was a roller-coaster of a year for me with many changes in my private and work life, I won’t bore you with the details. As a result I had to put blogging about wee trees on the back burner and my posts have dropped away considerably as a result. 2016 will see some major changes in my life, hopefully in a good way and I hope to get back into the swing of it all again. No this isn’t a New Years Resolution, I’m just trying to show resolve at a time of the year that coincides with the turn of the year 🙂
I’ve been busy working on trees for the last week and have been trying out a new technique to help me with this. It’s called a Tens Machine 🙂 It seems to have worked as well.
To start the ball rolling I’ll share this one with you. A Cork bark Chinese Elm that needed some more structural work done, so this is it before and after pruning and wiring.
I have been making a few decisions with this field grown Cork Bark Elm. It was styled a few years ago and since then I have been building up ramification and girth to lower branches.
This year saw a lot of growth but a lot of this wasn’t in the right places. The wire had been removed last Winter and during the year they have risen out of the desired profile. The finer growth is too dense in places to the detriment of inner areas.
I spent an hour the other afternoon wiring the primary and secondary branching and thinning out the dense areas to create proper structure. Although this has reduced the size of the overall tree, in a negative way, the structure left is correct and I will be able to quickly replace the ramification. I did manage to snap a little branch near the apex. Didn’t see that pruning wound from last year which had created a weak spot. At least at the apex it can be replaced quickly.
The foliage mass needs to be at least twice as much as it is now, but that’s part of the enjoyment of deciduous bonsai, no quick fixes.
The Elm forest from recent posts has be growing vigorously since it was moved to it’s new home on the slab. This is it sitting in the poly tunnel a few days ago. Going to need a trim soon, need helpers to lift it out though 😦