I have been working on this Atlantic Blue Cedar for a few years. I wanted one in my collection just for the colour and managed to salvage this one from a garden. It was originally 25 feet tall and it stall has a very tall feel to it but then those that know me know that I like tall trees. Not much taper, a bit of a fence post but I have always liked a tall tree with dropping branches.
This is it before I started work, branches had sprung up a lot since being dewired last year. The tree had fallen from a bench about 18 months ago and lost a large portion of the bottom branch on the right. This will take time to fil and now needed to be brought further to the front again.
This is it after wiring and styling. I added a few fine shari to the branches that had sprung the most. I’m hoping that this helps set them more permanently. I compacted the apex more and have used foliage to break the trunk line a little more.
Back on the bench adding that splash of colour.
I like the fullness of the restyled image. Almost shows the tree at it’s peak before it starts to go down hill, it happens to the best of us! It has put out decent growth since the last restyling and will hopefully continue to improve as an image.
Some older photos:
I’ve been admiring the work of others in the last few years in the creation of kokedama or commonly known as mossballs. This year I decided to give them a go for myself. There seems to be a multitude of ways to create them so I tried a few different ideas but the best way I can find it to use fine bonsai wire to hold them together. Here’s a few of mine. Again early days as they’ll take a while to fill out but I’m happy so far.
Epimedium and unknown x 2
Japanese Forest Grass, creeping mint and unknown.
A nice native Sedge that I like for accents and kusamono.
After a wiring and shaping of primary branches on this Hawthorn back in April the tree has responded strongly with extension growth. I checked the wire was still ok (yeah, even in a couple of months it can cut in on a fast growing hawthorn) and trimmed the shoots only leaving it where I needed to fatten branches.
Wire will need checked weekly or I’ll run the risk of scarring. I’ll be able to rewire new growth in the Autumn and continue to do this for the next 5 -10 years until I get a decent ramification. It will take a lot of branch work to make this heavy trunk look in proportion to the foliage.
I’ve been trying to get this Agapanthus down to a size that works as an accent and it looks like this year Iv’e done it. Still to flower but I’ll post again when it does.
The first 3 photos show it in the middle of May with flower stocks emerging. I was hoping for them to stay a little shorter this year.
And this is them now 🙂 If they flower anywhere near this height I think we can call it a success. Pot as usual by Magic Ceramics.