Chuhin Maple Update

After Winning an Award at the BSA Exhibition back in March, this Maple came home only to be eaten by some sort of insect. It was given free growth until now to see where it might bud from.

I have lost several branches including many at the apex. Yesterday I decided to remove the dead branches and start the process of rebuilding it back to it’s past level. I think I’m now over the disappointment. I’m posting it here which is a clear sign that I’m moving on. I’m even looking forward to the rebuilding process.

This was it before I did anything yesterday.

Here you can see dead branches in the apex and some of the very strong new growth.

Dead branches removed and the wounds before sealing.

The dead bits.

and the tree as it sits after the work.

A long winding road, having taken a wrong turn, I’m now heading back the right way again.

3 comments on “Chuhin Maple Update

  1. Ryan Neil tells a story. On his 2nd day as apprentice with Kimura, he accidentally broke a major branch off of a client’s JRP. He was horrified! Kimura said, “Now we pretend that branch was never there,” and redesigned the tree. He did it so well the client liked it even better than before!

    Best of luck with this. It’s a sweet tree.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s