Stephen’s Raulii Repot

Stephen repotted his Raulii at my place yesterday. It was in a very shallow training pot and he brought along two pot options and we opted for the oval cream pot.

This was it before the start of the work. There was two possible fronts, this one with this nebari.

and this one which we finally opted for.

The root mass was shallow but was solid fine roots with no heavy stubs to be pruned. The previous owner had done a great job in the development.

Stephen taking a few record shots with his camera. Maybe he’ll actually get around to posting them on his own blog 😉

Washing out the roots to get rid of some old compacted garden soil.

an even bigger nebari is uncovered and was the reason for picking this as the front.

It’s new home.

The tree potted up.

Advertisements

Budding Raulii

This will be my first Spring working with this species. This tree was given to me last year as a thank you for holiday care.

It is similar to a Hornbeam but you can see noticeable differences on closer inspection. Yesterday I had a look at the opening buds with a view to pinching out the tip growth. They can extend quite a bit and I want to stop this and produce back budding. I did shorten many of the branches during the Winter but stopped short for two reasons. 1- It was repotted and 2- it’s a new variety to me and I’m unsure how it’ll respond. I can now see some major back budding due to the Winter pruning and will re-evaluate how far to take it back. Some branches are too long without ramification.  I took 15 minutes and plucked out what shoots I could get. Some are further behind and the process will need to be repeated next week.

I look forward to making this tree my own. The large carving wound needs work and want to improve branch structure.

This is a bud before pinching out the centre. A few have what look like flowers appearing. I’ll have to wait and see.

Evidence of pinching on the bench.

This is some of the back budding close to the tips. However major pruning is producing adventurous buds on old wood so this might be removed altogether to help fill inner branches with buds.